Be it road or trail, there is something for everyone this weekend at GEAUX RUN!
SATURDAY – we hit the trails!
We will leave from Geaux Run at 5:00 a.m. to head up to Chicot State Park (near Ville Platte). If you want to just meet us at the park, be at the front gate about 6:00 a.m.
THINGS YOU NEED TO BRING:
- There are no water fountains on the trails (you will be running through the woods, after all J), so you will have to carry all of the liquids you will need for the run. How much fluids you will be carrying will determine how far you can run.
- Also, bring whatever nutrition you would use for a road run – Vespa, gels, gummies, Reese’s pieces, whatever works for you.
- Its always a good idea to bring bug spray to use before you start – you will probably sweat it off within a few miles, but its still good to have.
- Dry clothes to change into for the ride home. Unless you like wearing sweaty clothes, in which case, you might find yourself walking home.
- $1 per person to get into the park.
- We will try to carpool as much as possible, but come prepared to drive just in case.
DETAILS ABOUT THE RUN:
Some folks will be doing the whole loop (about 20 miles), but most people will be doing out and backs of different distances. This is a beautiful trail, so no matter which direction you go, you will get to see some great sights. And don’t worry – if for some reason the group spreads out and you find yourself alone on the trail, it is very easy to find your way – just follow the orange blazes on the trees. There will be enough people out there that this probably won’t be a problem, though.
WHAT TO WEAR:
- Road shoes are fine for your first couple of times at Chicot. The only time that trail shoes are really an advantage out there is when it is muddy. On some of the climbs, road shoes just don’t have enough grip to keep you from sliding some. Don’t invest in trail shoes until you have tried trail running and you know that it is something you want to continue.
- Clothes – just wear your most comfortable running outfit.
SUNDAY – We will be pounding the pavement! 6:00 a.m. from the store (906 Harding St). We always have a huge group, and all speeds and distances are usually represented. Come on out and be a part of Lafayette’s awesome running community